This model is only available from Shapeways. It cannot be printed in gray resin. Click here to buy this model from Shapeways.
This model represents the funnel of celebrated aircraft carrier USS Lexington CV-2 as she appeared on the day of her sinking following her aircraft, together with those of USSYorktown CV-5, sinking the Japanese aircraft carrier Shoho and the crippling of Japanese aircraft carrier Shokaku during the first carrier vs. carrier battle in history.
This model captures features, such as rounded-end splinter shielding, confirmed by photos of the wreck published by Paul Allen.
- fully assembled
- accurately dimensioned from US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings
- 1942 features designed from official Navy Yard Pearl Harbor "General Arrangement, New Anti-aircraft Battery & Fire Control" drawings dated 15 April 1942
- accurate elliptical shape, not slab-sided a some plastic kits are, and the 01 level is wider aft
- detail shapes and locations confirmed by careful study of photographs of the actual ship during her Pearl Harbor refit, the Batte of the Coral Sea, and the wreck
- open smoke pipes, accurately sized and properly sloped and compartmented, passing all the way through
- raised and angled forward smoke pipe exhaust
- open drying room vents just below the funnel cap
- funnel cap roof has the correct complex curve
- funnel cap roof access hatches (three)
- ammunition "dumb-waiter" hoists on the starboard side of the AA platform with delicate guide rails extending to the flight deck level
- access hatches on the roof of the fresh water tank (the boxy structure on the 01 level forward of the stack)
- CXAM-1 radar platform accurately sized and located with structural supports
- accurate splinter shield shapes with ribs properly numbered, sized and located
- 1.1" quadruple "Chicago Piano" tubs, one forward on the 01 level, and two aft with correct rounded ends as confirmed by wreck photos
- 20mm Oerlikon position with splinter shielding on the former 8" Fire Control platform
- 20mm Oerlikon clipping rooms on the former 8" Fire Control platform and on the 01 level aft, accurately sized and located with open A/T doors in the correct locations
- detailed, internal, twin 8" Mount #3 barbette and associated bulkheads with open scuttles which will be visible through:
- open A/T doors (doors available separately
- open portholes (airports) properly sized and located
- delicate exterior electrical cabling, properly positioned and routed
- subtle, raised locators for searchlights, directors and 20mm Oerlikons
- integrated, stowed boat booms (3), starboard side aft
- heavy structural supports included
- light structural supports, railings and ladders omitted, ready for your favorite photoetch
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.