This model is only available from Shapeways. It cannot be printed in gray resin. Click here to buy this model from Shapeways.
This model represents the funnel of celebrated aircraft carrier USS Saratoga CV-3 as it appeared from her commissioning in 1928 through 1940. It has features unique to Saratoga, different than those of Lexington during this period.
- fully assembled
- accurately dimensioned from US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings
- accurate elliptical shape, not slab-sided a some plastic kits are, and the 01 level is wider aft
- detail shapes and locations confirmed by careful study of photographs of the actual ship
- open smoke pipes, accurately sized and properly sloped and compartmented, passing all the way through
- properly sized and accurately shaped secondary conning station/aviation control station with open windows
- open drying room vents just below the funnel cap
- funnel cap roof has the correct complex curve - plastic kit manufacturers get this shape wrong
- funnel cap roof access hatches (three)
- access hatches on the roof of the fresh water tank (the boxy structure on the 01 level forward of the stack)
- starboard side searchlight platforms positioned at the correct height for Saratoga (Lexington's were higher)
- gently curved port and starboard side catwalks with delicate supporting structure (unlike Lexington, which has only the starboard side catwalk)
- accurate aft 8" fire control station "fighting top" on the funnel with open windows
- detailed, internal, twin 8" Mount #3 barbette and associated bulkheads with open scuttles which will be visible through:
- open A/T doors
- open portholes (airports) properly sized and located
- delicate exterior electrical cabling, properly positioned and routed
- heavy structural supports included
- light structural supports, railings and ladders omitted, ready for your favorite photoetch
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.