This model is only available from Shapeways. See Shapeways' webpage for current pricing. Link:
This model represents the post-1944 refit "long-bridge" island of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Yorktown CV-10 as it appeared from late 1944 through 1945. The island was in this configuration when Yorktown's airgroup participated in the sinking of the Japanese super-battleship Yamato. During the 1944 refit, the forward-most Bofors tub was removed, the pilot house and flag bridge were enlarged by extending them forward, and the starboard-side 20mm Oerlikon platforms were enlarged to include positions for three Mk.51 Bofors directors.
This design captures features specific to USS Yorktown, differing from other 3D-printed Essex class island designs available separately.
- fully assembled
- scaled dimensions match official US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings for USS Antietam CV-36, as well as scaled drawings by John Roberts appearing in "Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid", with details adjusted to match high-resolution photos of USS Yorktown CV-10
- splinter shielding and deck shape for the navigating bridge are accurate to USS Yorktown's unique shape
- accurately shaped, detailed and positioned doors of three different types with chevron-shaped rain deflector detail (most doors are positioned open)
- accurately sized and positioned open portholes, of two different sizes, with rigol ("eyebrow") details
- accurately shaped decks and catwalks
- integrated, open-slotted venturi (wind deflector) on the navigating bridge splinter shield
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ships
- open battle lookouts
- subtly curved funnel caps
- open uptakes completely through the island, with correct bend in rear uptake
- open flag lockers
- accurate exterior cabling detail
- Bofors tubs spent shell casing chutes
- formation lights on searchlight platform splinter shield
- funnel access scuttle
- exterior steam pipes for ship's whistles
- starboard-side incinerator pipe
- venturi (wind deflector) on splinter shield around the pilot house
- subtle, raised locator discs on decks and platforms to aid on the placement of 40mm Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikon guns and searchlights (Bofors, Oerlikons and searchlights are not included)
- integrated tripod mast with ship's bell
Please view renderings in the carousel to see where to position your plastic or resin kit's (or other aftermarket) Mk.51 directors on the starboard-side 20mm Oerlikon platforms. Mk.51 directors are not included with this 3D-printed island.
This model is scaled to represent the features of the actual ship based on the best, authoritative references available.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.