This product is only available from Shapeways. It cannot be printed in gray resin. Click here to buy this model from Shapeways.
Includes mast and 2 boat booms.
- Lifelike 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63 (1945)
- Mini Hobby Models 1/350 scale USS New Jersey BB-62
- Otaki 1/350 scale USS New Jersey BB-62 (1982)
- Otaki 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63 (1945)
- Revell 1/350 scale USS Iowa BB-61 (1990)
- Revell 1/350 scale USS New Jersey BB-62
- Revell 1/350 scale USS New Jersey BB-62 (1982) Platinum Edition / Limited Edition
- Revell 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63
- Tamiya 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63
- Tamiya 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63 (1991) (Includes PE & Booklet)
- Tamiya 1/350 scale USS New Jersey BB-62
- Very Fire 1/350 scale USS Missouri BB-63 (1945)
- and more!
This 3D-printed main mast is intended to help convert any 1/350 scale Iowa class battleship model kit to the 1950s through early 1980s (pre-modernization) appearance of USS Iowa BB-61 or USS Wisconsin BB-64. Details such as radars, cabling and antenna changed from year-to-year. Please consult your references to further detail your new mast. An excellent reference is "USS Wisconsin BB-64 Photo Museum Guide" by Randall S. Shoker, available from The Floating Drydock (click here).
Advice to correct warped parts: this design includes very long, thin legs that may warp during shipping. Warped parts are caused by the presence of uncured microscopic bits of resin within the parts, a normal characteristic of 3D printing. To correct the warp, fix the warped part(s) of the mast to a flat surface with clear plastic or clear tape being careful to position the bent legs in the desired, straight position. Then expose it (them) to direct sunlight or a UV lamp for a few hours in order to fully harden any bits of liquid resin present. When released from their tape or clear plastic, the now fully hardened parts should retain their straight shape. Ultra violet light hardens the resin, not heat.
Fully cured, 3D-printed acrylic plastic is brittle and breaks easily. Care is recommended during handling and assembly. To remove the support, very careful use of a common cuticle clipper, or similar tool, is recommended.
Depending on which kit you have, some adjustment of this mast or your kit's parts may be necessary for best fit.
A quadruped main mast for USS New Jersey BB-62, USS Missouri BB-63 and early USSWisconsin BB-64 is available separately.
This 3D design is based on 2D plans drawn by Mr. Henry Strub using the latest National Archives research conducted by him as well as exhaustive research conducted by noted naval historian Mr. Rick E. Davis.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.