Recommended Korean War-era modernized SCB-27 island for:
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Yorktown CV-10
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Franklin CV-13
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Ticonderoga CV-14
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Hancock CV-19
Recommended island to build a Korean War-era USS Essex CV-9 from any World War Two-era straight-deck 1/350 scale Essex class aircraft carrier kit.
This model represents the SCB-27 modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Essex CV-9 as it appeared circa 1951-1952. She had this new island but retained her straight flight deck during this time. Uniquely positioned among the class, her Primary Flight Control Station "PriFly" and port-side flag lockers were later relocated about 1953. Among other differences, this design captures the 1951 position of PriFly and the port-side flag lockers.
Because of the bow and flight deck length, Trumpeter's "long-hull" Essex class kits, USS Ticonderoga and USS Hancock may be better starting points than the "short-hull" USS Essex, USS Yorktown, and USS Franklin kits, and require less effort for your accurate conversion.
- fully assembled
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing, properly located, uniquely, toEssex in 1951
- details consistent with photos of the actual ship
- decks properly offset to port, they should NOT be centered on the island
- properly shaped decks and deck features
- battle lookout details
- deck houses, flag lockers, radar platform and splinter shielding shape specific to Essex
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail and routing specific for Essex
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- closed A/T doors of the proper type
- door overhead chevron-shaped rain deflectors
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
This 3D-printed acrylic part is designed to accurately represent features of the actual ship. This model is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic or resin kit's parts. Be advised that modernized SCB-27 islands were shorter at the aft end than they were during World War II. Some adjustment to your plastic kit's flight deck parts or other aftermarket parts such as photoetch or wood decks may be necessary for best fit. To fit this acrylic island to your plastic kit's flight deck, please remove the raised locator strips on the Trumpeter kit's flight deck part. A simple cuticle cutter can cleanly and easily remove these raised locator features.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.