Includes 1 turret with barrels.
This scale Twin 14 inch/45 caliber Gun Turret is designed for models of New York class battleships USS New York BB-34 and USS Texas BB-35. These ships had five twin turrets. This version represents the two superfiring turrets located on tall barbettes well above the main deck with small, asymmetrical rangerfinders, Turrets Numbers 2 and 4.
- scaled from actual builders blueprints of the turret, dated 1914, and US Navy Bureau of Ordnance pamphlet O.P. 1112, 2nd Revision, dated January, 1945
- measurements and location of features confirmed from wartime and present-day photos of USS Texas BB-35, preserved as a museum ship
- accurate turret side and glacis curvature
- asymmetrical rangefinder hoods with telescope openings located on the turret sides to the rear of the glacis (the right-side hood is deeper than the left side hood)
- properly raised turret roof panel
- detailed turret roof access hatches with dog and hinge detail
- turret roof rain gutter/deflector just aft of the glacis
- subcaliber training device mounting plate located just aft of the glacis on the turret roof
- roof-mounted periscope base properly located off-center
- accurately positioned and shaped gun openings with buckler (bloomer/blast bag) attachment frames
- crew access hatch (aka "Armored Grating Hatch") on turret bottom overhang, with hydraulic piston and hinge detail, properly hinged to the rear (unlike the hatch on main deck turrets which is hinged to the front)
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.