Scale: 1/192 (1/16 inch = 1 foot)
Set includes 2 winches.
These models represent a standard type of winch used to raise and lower 26' whale boats as fit to US Navy warships during and after World War Two. Boat winches were supplied to the US Navy from several manufacturers and details varied widely.
This design is patterned after the boat winches that appear on board the Fletcher class destroyers USS Kidd DD-661, preserved as a museum ship at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and USS The Sullivans DD-537, preserved as a museum ship at Buffalo, New York.
These boat winches are NOT the deck winches that appear astride Turret #3 on fast battleships like USS Missouri. Deck winches fit to fast battleships are considerably larger than boat winches. Some USS Missouri BB-63 plans erroneously label the deck winches astride Turret #3 as boat winches.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast
- Bluejacket Shipcrafters 1/16 inch scale Fletcher class destroyer
- Bluejacket Shipcrafters 1/192 scale USS Gearing DD-710 (WW II, circa 1945)
- Blue Ridge Models 1/192 scale USS Sims DD-409 (Sims class)
- Classic Warships 1/192 scale USS Sims DD-409 (Sims class)
- Sterling 1/192 scale USS Missouri BB-63
- Tehnoart 1/192 scale USS De Haven DD-727 Sumner Class Destroyer (WWII)
- Tehnoart 1/192 scale Gearing class Destroyer (WWII)
- The Scale Shipyard 1/192 scale USS Missouri BB-63
- The Scale Shipyard 1/192 scale USS Fletcher DD-445
- The Scale Shipyard 1/192 scale USS Kidd DD-661
- The Scale Shipyard 1/192 scale USS Sumner DD-692
- The Scale Shipyard 1/192 scale USS Gearing DD-710
- Yankee Modelworks 1/192 scale USS Sims DD-409 (Sims class)