Set includes 2 mounts (turrets) with barrels.
- Digital Navy 1/200 scale USS Black DD-666
- Digital Navy 1/200 scale USS Caperton DD-650
- Halinski 1/200 scale USS Heerman DD-532
- Modelik 1/200 scale USS Leutze DD-481
- Progresswerk Nürnberg 1/200 scale Z1 Zerstörer (Fletcher klasse / klasse 119)
Among naval historians, the US Navy 5"/38 caliber cannon is considered the best intermediate-caliber, dual purpose naval gun of World War II. These models represent the 5"/38 cal. Mk.30 Mod.41 single gun mount fit to several classes of warships and Coast Guard cutters.
This "Heavyweight" version had a reinforced roof with two "bumps", called "knuckles", that resisted blast from another 5-inch turret firing overhead. This type was known as a "Double Knuckle" mount during World War II. Compared to the "late version", the early version, reproduced here, appeared sometime before 1944, had a different arrangement of stiffeners on the front of the gunhouse, fewer fasteners on access hatches, differently shaped shell ejection chute, and a differently positioned equipment box. Two of these mounts are often seen on "round bridge" Fletchers such as USS Fletcher DD-445 herself, and earlier Sims, Benson, and Gleaves class destroyers. Please consult your references to know if this type is correct for your model.
Of the five 5-inch/38 Mk.30 single mounts normally fitted to a Fletcher class destroyer, two "Double Knuckle" heavyweight mounts were carried, one in the foremost position and one in the aft most position on the main deck, known there as "Mount 51" and "Mount 55". The other three mounts were "Single Knuckle" lightweight Mod.60 mounts, available separately.
- overall dimensions and details scaled from official US Navy O.P. 1112 drawings dated March, 1945 and measurements taken from a surviving Mod.41 mount aboard the museum ship USS Kidd DD-661
- details were confirmed by careful study of photographs of early Fletcher class destroyers
- mount can be made rotatable and the gun can be positioned at any realistic elevation
- an accurately shaped asymmetrical gunhouse (turret)
- accurate, offset gun opening
- forward face stiffeners
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure with accurately placed bolt-head detail
- rear vent
- detailed gun captain blast hood, fit to the right side of the roof as they were during World War Two
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
Model Monkey 5"/38 cal. Single Mounts for Fletcher class destroyers:
- 5"/38 cal. "Double Knuckle" early heavyweight (set of 2) - for "round bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Single Knuckle" early lightweight (set of 3) - for "round bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Double Knuckle" late heavyweight (set of 2) - for "square-bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Single Knuckle" late lightweight (set of 3) - for "square bridge" Fletcher class
- Ring Stands for 5"/38 cal. Single Mounts (set of 5)