Set includes 2 triple-gun turrets and barrels.
Recommended for the Modelik 1/200 scale USS Oklahoma BB-37.
This set requires an extraordinary amount of time to print. Please allow additional time for production.
These scale Triple 14 inch/45 caliber Gun Turrets are designed for models of USS Nevada BB-36 and USS Oklahoma BB-37. These model turrets were patterned from Bureau of Ordnance drawing O.P. 1112 (2nd Revision) dated January 15, 1945 as well as drawings by Alan B. Chesley modified to match photos of the actual turrets. Unlike turrets fit to USS Arizona and USS Pennsylvania, these turrets did not have exterior vent trunks. A set of twin-gun turrets is available separately.
- accurately dimensioned gunhouse according to official US Navy drawings of O.P. 1112
- detailed rangefinder hoods with closed viewports
- correct number and position of barbette apron gusset plates
- to-scale thickness of glacis
- properly shaped gun openings
- correctly shaped buckler (bloomer/blastbag) attachment collars on glacis
- barrels integrated into a single sleeve, just like the real gun sleeve
- barrels and sleeve (trunnion) printed separately as one unit to permit the modeler to select any elevation from -5 degrees to +30 degrees, just like the real guns and sleeve
- trunnion accurately positioned within the gunhouse according to US Navy O.P. 1112 providing a correct center of rotation
These 3D-printed acrylic parts are designed to accurately represent features of the actual ship based on authoritative plans. They are not 3D-printed copies of resin or plastic kits' parts and therefore are shaped and sized a bit differently. Some adjustment to your plastic kit's parts or other aftermarket parts such as photoetch or wood decks may be necessary for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
From Wikipedia: "The 14"/45 caliber gun, (technically naval rifles) whose variations were known initially as the Mark 1, 2, 3, and 5, and later as the Mark 8, 9, 10, and 12, were the first 14-inch guns to be employed with the United States Navy, and were for over a year the most powerful naval ordnance afloat. They were installed aboard the United States Navy's New York-class, Nevada-class, and Pennsylvania-class battleships as the primary armament for each battleship in the class. The gun also saw service in the British Royal Navy, where it was designated the BL 14 inch gun Mk II.
"The design of the 14"/45 caliber dates to about 1910, and they entered service in 1914 aboard USS New York. At the time of their introduction they were intended to fire 1400 lb armor-piercing (AP) projectiles containing a bursting charge of explosive D. Propellant charge was four silk bags of smokeless powder, each of which weighed 105 lb. At a 15 degree angle, the guns could fire a shell out to 23,000 yards. Each individual gun weighed 140,670 lbs without the breech and measured 642.5 inches in length.
"The guns on the two ships of the New York class (New York and Texas), the first ship of the Nevada class (Nevada) and the first ship of the Pennsylvania class (Pennsylvania) saw service in World War II in the role of shore bombardment. New York bombarded North Africa during landings in 1942, Pennsylvania took part in the Aleutian Islands Campaign and Texas and Nevada shelled Normandy during Operation Overlord in 1944. Throughout 1944 and 1945, Pennsylvania hit many different Pacific islands during their invasions, while New York, Texas and Nevada all took part in the invasion of Iwo Jima and the invasion of Okinawa in 1945.
Due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, both Oklahoma and Arizona never fired their main batteries in anger. However, the 14"/45 caliber guns salvaged from the number 2 turret aboard Arizona were removed and installed aboard Nevada in the fall of 1944. The aft turrets from Arizona (numbers 3 and 4) were moved to become United States Army Coast Artillery Corps Battery Arizona on the west coast of Oahu and Battery Pennsylvania on Mokapu Point.
"Eight US-Navy standard 14-inch 45 caliber guns, complete with mountings, built by Bethlehem Steel, were supplied to the United Kingdom in World War I. They were mounted on Abercrombie-class monitors under the British service designation BL 14 inch gun Mk II."