Notice: this product is intended for expert modelers with considerable modeling experience. To use this 3D-printed model, your Airfix kit's wing must be modified to have increased dihedral.* This model kit includes several separate parts and requires assembly. CA glue is recommended.
Recommended only for Airfix kits:
- Airfix 1/24 scale P-51D Mustang
- Airfix 1/24 scale Mustang Mk.IV
- Airfix 1/24 scale P-51K / Mk.IVa Mustang
This model represents the wheel wells of the famed P-51D, P-51K and Mustang Mk.IV fighters. It is intended to help detail Airfix 1/24 scale P-51D, P-51K and Mustang Mk.IV kit's.
Downloadable instructions available from Scalemates.com. Link:
This model has been independently reviewed by Brett Green on Hyperscale.com. Link:
Although fittings and coloration varied between actual Mustangs, this 3D-printed model represents typical World War Two-era features. Consult your references for coloration options.
This model is an original 3D design developed from scans of original World War Two-era North American Aviation blueprints, adjusted to fit 1/24 scale Airfix P-51D, P-51K and Mustang Mk.IV kits. This model may not fit Bandai or Trumpeter 1/24 scale P-51 Mustang kits and is not recommended for them.
This model's aft spar is designed at the proper angle to help the modeler correct the Airfix kit's wing dihedral, which is molded too flat.
The model features a separate coolant piping section, hydraulic accumulator, fuel tank selection valve and inner door actuator pistons. A spare fuel tank selector valve is included; sprue removal from the fuel tank selector valve is difficult (piping is fragile).
This model is made of acrylic plastic. Acrylic plastic does not behave like injection-molded polystyrene plastic or other resins. Glues for polystyrene plastic, like "Testors Liquid Cement" or tube cement, will not work with acrylic plastic. Cyanoacrylate (CA) "super glue" is recommended.
Model Monkey P-51 Mustang products include:
- Merlin engine hollow exhausts, with Shrouds
- Merlin engine hollow exhausts, no Shrouds
- P-51D and P-51K Mustang Seat, Warren-McArthur 243B-AS1
- Radio SCR-522-A for P-51 Mustangs, etc.
* To modify the Airfix kit's wing dihedral, cut a shallow groove along the center of the lower wing part's upper (interior) side from front to back. Do NOT cut through the wing. The groove will act as a seam to help ease bending the wing to the proper dihedral. Gently bend the wing to match the 3D-printed wheel well.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.