Set includes 2 mounts (turrets) with integrated barrels.
Recommended to build a US Navy Sims class destroyer, or Benson or Gleaves class destroyers DD-421 through DD-444, from:
- Blue Water Navy 1/350 scale USS Aaron Ward DD-483 (1942)
- Blue Water Navy 1/350 scale USS Aaron Ward (DD-483) 1942
- Blue Water Navy 1/350 scale USS Gwin DD-433 (1943)
- Blue Water Navy 1/350 scale USS Tillman DD-641 (1943)
- Blue Water Navy 1/350 scale USS Farenholt DD-491 (1942)
- Cyber Hobby 1/350 scale USS Buchanan DD-484 Tokyo Bay 1945
- Dragon 1/350 scale USS Laffey DD-459 1942
- Dragon 1/350 scale USS Benson DD-421 1945
- Dragon 1/350 scale USS Benson DD-421 1940
- Dragon 1/350 scale USS Buchanan DD-484 1942
- Dragon 1/350 scale USS Livermore DD-429
- Iron Shipwrights 1/350 scale USS Russell DD-414 (1943)
These two models represent one type of the US Navy's 5 inch, 38 caliber Mk.30 single-gun mount (turret) with steel shield and canvas top as fit in a superfiring position aft to some Sims class, Benson class and Gleaves class destroyers circa 1941. The Benson class destroyer USS Madison DD-425, for example, carried this mount (see photos in carousel). These 3D-printed mounts offer the modeler the ability to accurately build many other ships of the Benson and Gleaves classes.
Noted naval historian Rick E. Davis reports that this mount set is correct for some Sims class and Benson-Geaves class ships including USS Benson, USS Livermore, USS Gwin, USS Mayo, and USS Madison among other early ships, basically any of the original BENSON-GLEAVES class destroyers DD-421 through DD-444.
- overall dimensions scaled from official US Navy drawings
- details confirmed from careful study of National Archives photographs provided by noted naval historian Rick E. Davis
- accurately shaped asymmetrical gunhouse (turret)
- accurately offset gun opening
- barrel set at an elevation of +5 degrees (loading angle)
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure
- accurate bolthead detail
These 3D-printed mounts are designed to match the overall dimensions of features of the real mounts as recorded in official Navy drawings. They are not copies of any injection molded plastic or resin kits' parts and therefore may be differently shaped and sized. Some adjustment to your kit, or other aftermarket products such as photoetch, may be necessary for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.