Set includes 8 mounts (turrets) with barrels.
Recommended to help build a Forrestal class aircraft carrier from your 1/350 scale Kitty Hawk class aircraft carrier model kit or 1/350 scale USS Enterprise CVN-65 model kit.
This multi-part model kit represents the double dome "frog-eye" version of the highly successful 5 inch 54 caliber Mark 42 Mount installed aboard many US Navy and allied warships. To assemble the model, insert the cannon, barrel first, through the open bottom into the gun slot.
- overall dimensions from official US Navy drawings
- separate cannon and trunnion to allow the modeler to set the barrel at any realistic elevation from +85 deg. to -15 deg. just like the real mount.
- two detailed "frog-eye" local fire control domes (right for antiaircraft, left for surface firing)
- properly scaled hatches with hinge details
- access plates with hex-head bolt details
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
From Wikipedia: "The Mark 42 5"/54 caliber gun (127mm) is a naval gun (naval artillery) mount used by the United States Navy and other countries. It consisted of the Mark 18 gun and Mark 42 gun mount. United States naval gun terminology indicates the gun fires a projectile 5 inches (127.0 mm) in diameter, and the barrel is 54 calibers long (barrel length is 5" × 54 = 270" or 6.9 meters.) In the 1950s a gun with more range and a faster rate of fire than the 5"/38 caliber gun used in World War II was needed. Because of this reason, the gun was created concurrently with the 3"/70 Mark 26 gun for different usages. The 5"/54 Mk 42 is an automatic, dual-purpose (air / surface target) gun mount. It is usually controlled remotely from the Mk 68 Gun Fire Control System, or locally from the mount at the One Man Control (OMC) station."