Set includes 4 turrets with barrels.
- Iron Shipwrights 1/350 scale HMS Hood
- White Ensign Models 1/350 scale HMS Hood
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale HMS Hood
This highly detailed and accurately sized and shape set of turrets represents the four turrets of British battlecruiser HMS Hood. as they appeared after modifications were made to the ends of the armored rangefinder hoods. Most HMS Hood model kits have the as-built rangefinder hood design which is inaccurate for May, 1941, when she was lost to German battleship Bismarck. These 3D-printed turrets are more accurately sized and shaped replacements for Trumpeter's kit's turrets which are too tall and too angular.
These model turrets are based on plans of the actual ship. They are NOT 3D-printed copies of any plastic or resin kit's parts and therefore are shaped and sized differently. Some adjustment to your plastic or resin kit's parts or other aftermarket products such as photoetch may be necessary for best fit.
- overall dimensions and shapes match drawings by John Roberts based on official Admiralty plans in the possession of the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England, with details adjusted to match photos
- armored rangefinder hood caps are of the latter, modified design, accurate for May, 1941 (most plastic model kits have the as-built caps, not accurate for 1941)
- each turret has unique details just like the real turrets
- "A" Turret's armored rangefinder hood has chamfered outer, rear corners
- "B" Turret has vents and chamfered rear corners
- "X" Turret has vents
- "Y" Turret has no vents and no chamfers
- turrets are individually marked "A", "B", "X" or "Y" on the inside of the turret
- hex-head bolt detail, properly sized, numbered and located after careful study of plans and photos of the actual ship
- interior supports for gun barrels (HMS Hood 15" Barrels available separately (click here))
Notice for Trumpeter HMS Hood kit owners: although the Model Monkey turrets were originally designed as replacement turrets for the resin Iron Shipwrights and White Ensign Models kits they can be used with the Trumpeter kit.
The resin kits have barbettes with solid tops designed to receive turrets with a post in order for the turrets to rotate. The Model Monkey turrets have a post that is 2.0 mm in diameter and extends 1.2 mm below the bottom of the turret, a good match for resin kits.
The Trumpeter injection-molded polystyrene plastic kit is very unusual in that this kit's turret bottoms have a large drum-shaped plug which is inserted into a very large opening in the top of the barbettes. To use the Model Monkey turrets with the Trumpeter kit in a way that will permit them to rotate, the Trumpeter kit's barbettes will have to adapted to accept a post rather than a plug. Modelers who have used the Model Monkey turrets with the Trumpeter kit have typically placed a thin plastic disk with a 2mm hole over the kit's barbettes in order to accept the post.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
1/350 scale HMS Hood products available separately:
- Lower Aft Funnel section
- Lower Fore Funnel section
- Upper Funnel section for either Fore or Aft Funnel
- HMS Hood 15" Turrets, set of 4
- HMS Hood 15" Barrels, set of 8 (4 pairs)