Recommended to help convert your 1/350 scale Kitty Hawk class aircraft carrier model kit or USS Enterprise CVN-65 model kit to the Forrestal class aircraft carrier USS Independence CVA-62.
This model represents the island of Forrestal class aircraft carrier USS Independence CVA-62 as it appeared circa 1965-1971 during the Vietnam War. The Forrestal class was the world's first "super carriers".
For valuable reference photos of USS Independence CV/CVA-62, the fourth ship of the Forrestal class, see:
During this period, Carrier Air Wing 7 (CVW-7), tail code "AG", was embarked, equipped with A-6A Intruders, A-4 Skyhawks, F-4 Phantoms, F-8 Crusaders, A-1 Skyraiders, E-1 Tracers, SH-3 Sea Kings, among others.
- overall dimensions scaled from official US Navy drawings, details adjusted to match photos
- open navigating bridge, flag bridge and primary flight control station "prifly" windows with correct wiper motor detail for 1965-1971
- open portholes for the signal shelter on the 09 level
- open battle lookout ports, fore and aft, properly sized and positioned
- highly detailed doors of 2 types fixed to the bulkheads in the open position, and one closed door
- detailed and textured starboard side intake vents
- accurately shaped decks, platforms, catwalks and splinter shields properly located
- detailed starboard-side electronic countermeaures room and radar room with open doors sandwiched between bi-level platforms extending outward from funnel
- accurately shaped and sized SPN-35 radar dome
- lower portion of the swing-down mast fixed to the superstructure (does not move) with hinge detail at the base, with small locator dimple to aid in attaching your kit's mast
- open funnel uptakes
- diesel generator exhausts between funnel uptakes
- USS Saratoga CVA-60 island 1970-1975
- 5"/54 cal. Mk.42 double-dome "Frog-eye" Mounts (turrets)
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or re-cast.