Recommended to help build the Korean War-era, straight-deck USS Kearsarge CV-33 from any World War Two-era straight-deck 1/350 scale Essex class aircraft carrier kit, including:
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Yorktown CV-10
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Franklin CV-13
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Ticonderoga CV-14
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Hancock CV-19
This model represents the SCB-27 modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Kearsarge CV-33 as it appeared circa 1952-1955. She had this new island but retained her straight flight deck at that time.
Accurate and highly detailed, this SCB-27 island offers the modeler an attractive alternative to scratch-building or altering the plastic kit's island parts. With minor modifications, it can be adapted to represent other Korean War-era straight-deck Essex class carriers.
Note: when the Essex class islands were modernized, they were made shorter at the aft end. This island, true to the original, is accurately shorter than the World War Two-era kit's parts. Some adjustment of the plastic kit's flight deck parts may be needed for best fit. Because of the bow and flight deck length, Trumpeter's "long-hull" Essex class kits, USS Ticonderoga and USS Hancock are better starting points than the "short-hull" USS Essex, USS Yorktown, and USS Franklin kits, and require less effort for your accurate conversion.
- fully assembled
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- details consistent with photos of the actual ship
- decks properly offset to port, they should NOT be centered on the island
- properly shaped decks and deck features
- battle lookout details
- deck houses, flag lockers, radar platform and splinter shielding shape specific to Kearsarge
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail and routing specific for Kearsarge
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- closed A/T doors of the proper type
- door overhead chevron-shaped rain deflectors
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
This 3D-printed acrylic part is designed to accurately represent features of the actual ship. This model is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic or resin kit's parts. Be advised that modernized SCB-27 islands were shorter at the aft end than they were during World War II. Some adjustment to your plastic kit's flight deck parts or other aftermarket parts such as photoetch or wood decks may be necessary for best fit.
To fit this acrylic island to your plastic kit's flight deck, please remove the raised locator strips on the Trumpeter kit's flight deck part. A simple cuticle cutter can cleanly and easily remove these raised locator features.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.