- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Yorktown CV-10
- Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Franklin CV-13
This model represents the as-built island of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Lexington CV-16, the "short bridge" configuration, as it appeared circa February through December, 1943, prior to torpedo damage repairs made after Christmas, 1943 at Bremerton, Washington. The island was in this configuration during raids on Tarawa, the Gilbert Islands and Kwajalein. Essex class islands during this time carried three Bofors tubs, two forward and one aft.
This design captures features specific to USS Lexington, differing from other 3D-printed Essex class aircraft carrier island designs available separately.
- fully assembled
- scaled dimensions match official US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings for USS Antietam CV-36, as well as scaled drawings by John Roberts appearing in "Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid", with details adjusted to match 1943 photos of USS Lexington CV-16
- accurately shaped, detailed and positioned doors of three different types with chevron-shaped rain deflector detail (most doors are positioned open)
- accurately sized and positioned open portholes with rigol ("eyebrow") details
- accurately shaped decks and catwalks
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ships
- open battle lookouts
- subtly curved funnel caps
- open uptakes completely through the island, with correct bend in rear uptake
- open flag lockers
- accurate exterior cabling detail
- Bofors tubs spent shell casing chutes
- formation lights on searchlight platform splinter shield
- funnel access scuttle
- exterior steam pipes for ship's whistles
- starboard-side incinerator pipe
- venturis (wind deflectors) on navaigating bridge splinter shield and air defense deck splinter shield
- subtle, raised locator discs on decks and platforms to aid on the placement of 40mm Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikon guns and searchlights (Bofors, Oerlikons and searchlights are not included)
- integrated tripod mast with ship's bell
This model is scaled to represent the features of the actual ship based on the best, authoritative references available. It is NOT a 3D-printed copy of any metal, plastic or resin kit's parts therefore it may be sized and shaped differently than the parts in your plastic or resin kit. Some adjustment to your kit's parts or other aftermarket sets such as photo etch or wood decks may be needed for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.