- Renwal 1/500 scale USS Shangri-La CVA-38
- Renwal 1/500 scale USS Ticonderoga CVA-14
This multi-part kit represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Lexington CVT-16, the "Blue Ghost" as it appeared circa 1993. It is intended as a more accurate, direct replacement for the kit parts found in the Renwal model kit. The Renwal kit's hull is more representative of Lexington than her sisters. This island helps complete the conversion to Lexington. With minor modifications, it can be adapted for other Vietnam-era angle-deck Essex class carriers. It is not suitable for USS Yorktown CVS-10 or USS Randolph CVS-15 because those ships' islands had different bridge window configurations. Check your references to confirm details for those ships.
This 1/500 scale design is too large for the Revell model kits and will not fit them properly. A properly scaled Lexington design for Revell is available separately.
Some adjustment of the plastic kit's parts may be needed for best fit.
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- decks properly offset to port - Renwal's kits' decks are positioned too far to starboard and should NOT be centered on the island
- properly shaped decks and deck features
- wiper motor details on the navigating bridge
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail for Lexington
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- properly slanted and positioned antenna base outriggers
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
© Model Monkey LLC. This 3D-printed product may not be copied or recast.