- Renwal 1/500 scale USS Shangri-La
- Renwal 1/500 scale USS Ticonderoga
Model includes 12 additional Phasor 90 Paired-cone Antennas for further detailing.
This multi-part kit represents the modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Shangri La CVA-38 as it appeared about 1965-1968 during combat operations off Vietnam. During those years, Carrier Air Wing 8 (CVW-8) was embarked, equipped with Vought F-8 Crusaders, Vought A-7 Corsair IIs, Douglas A-1 Skyraiders, Sikorski SH-3 Sea Kings and Grumman E-1 Tracers among others.
This model is intended as a more accurate, direct replacement for the kit parts found in the Renwal model kit. With minor modifications, it can be adapted for other Vietnam-era angle-deck Essex class carriers. It is not suitable for USS Yorktown CVS-10 or USS Randolph CVS-15 because those ships' islands had different bridge window configurations.
This 1/500 scale design is too large for the 1/530 scale Revell model kits and will not fit them properly. A Shangri La island precisely scaled for Revell kits is available separately.
Some adjustment of the plastic kit's parts may be needed for best fit.
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- decks properly offset to port - Renwal's kits' decks are positioned too far to starboard and should NOT be centered on the island
- properly positioned deck features
- wiper motor details on the navigating bridge
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail for Shangri La
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- properly slanted and positioned antenna base outriggers
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
© Model Monkey LLC. This 3D-printed product may not be copied or recast.