Recommended for the Aurora 1/516 scale USS Bennion DD-662.
The 2,050-ton Fletcher class was one of the most successful wartime and post-war destroyer classes of the US Navy and arguably the most significant class in the Pacific war. 175 ships of the class were produced over a 32-month period during World War II. They were produced in two groups: 58 were built with a high, "Round Bridge" and 117 (two-thirds of the class) were completed with a low, "Square Bridge" which afforded better visibility for anti-aircraft defense.
This model kit is designed for Fletchers with the square bridge.
- accurately scaled from Bath Iron Works builder's plans
- open, exterior 5'-6" "A/T" door locations per Bath drawings and photos of actual Fletchers
- scale, open, exterior 16" diameter airports (portholes) in proper locations
- integrated Mk.37 Director tower (Mk.37 available separately)
- exterior airport (porthole) wiper motor locations per Bath Iron Works drawings
- mast support frame
- ship's bell suspended from mast frame
- integrated loudspeaker (aka "reproducer")
- standard antenna lead-in insulators in proper locations
- doors not included (too thin to print)
This 3D-printed model is designed to match the overall dimensions of features of the real ship as recorded in official builder's blueprints. It is not a copy of any injection molded plastic or resin kits' parts and therefore may be differently shaped and sized. Some adjustment to your kit, or other aftermarket products such as photoetch, may be necessary for best fit.
Some of this model's features are very thin and fragile. Caution is advised when cutting away the supporting sprues.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.