Recommended to help build USS Hornet CVS-12 from:
- Revell 1/530 USS Essex CVA-9 and CVS-9 Angle-deck carrier
- Revell 1/530 USS Hornet (CVS-12) "Hornet +3" Apollo 11 Moon Mission Recovery Vessel
- Revell 1/530 USS Lexington (CVT-16) Sea Power Issue
- Revell 1/530 USS Wasp CVA-18 and CVS-18 Gemini Recovery Vessel
- Revell 1/530 USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31 Picture Fleet Issue
- Revell 1/530 USS Oriskany CVA-34
- Revell 1/530 USS Shangri-La CVA-38 (not the 1/500 Renwal kit)
- Revell/Lodella 1/530 USS Ticonderoga CVA-14 (not the Renwal 1/500 kit)
This multi-part kit represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CVS-11 as it appeared circa 1967-1969. During these years, Carrier Anti-Submarine Air Group 57 (CVSG-57) was embarked aboard ship. The island was in this configuration when Hornet recovered the astronauts of Apollo 11 after their historic mission to the Moon. A few months later, the ship recovered the astronauts of Apollo 12. USS Hornet is preserved as a museum ship at Alameda, California.
This model is intended as a more accurate, direct replacement for the kit parts found in any classic Revell Essex class aircraft carrier model. With minor modifications, it can be adapted for other Vietnam-era angle-deck Essex class aircraft carriers with similar bridge window configurations.
- overall dimension scaled from official US Navy plans with details adjusted to match features of the actual ship
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- properly positioned deck features
- accurately shaped decks, catwalks and splinter shields for Hornet
- accurately shaped SPS-30 radar platform, unique to Hornet
- integrated venturis (wind deflectors) accurate for Hornet
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail correct for Hornet
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors for Hornet, most in the open position
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- open funnel cap (grille not included)
- Phasor 90 dual-cone antennas, port and aft antennas integrated with the island, 2 separate antennas for mounting on kit's radar platform supports (1 facing forward on the port side and 1 facing starboard on the starboard side - see photos in carousel) and 2 spare
- highly detailed, Cold War-style Mk.37 director
This highly detailed and accurately shaped model is an original design developed from official US Navy drawings. It is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic or resin kit's parts, therefore it may be sized and shaped differently from the parts in your plastic or resin kit. Some adjustment of your kit's parts or other aftermarket parts such as photo-etch may be required for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.