- Revell 1/530 USS Essex CVA-9 and CVS-9 Angle-deck carrier
- Revell 1/530 USS Hornet (CV-12) "Hornet +3" Apollo 11 Moon Mission Recovery Vessel
- Revell 1/530 USS Lexington (CVA-16) Sea Power Issue
- Revell 1/530 USS Wasp CVA-18 and CVS-18 Gemini Recovery Vessel
- Revell 1/530 USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31 Picture Fleet Issue
- Revell 1/530 USS Oriskany CVA-34
- Revell 1/530 USS Shangri-La CVA-38 (not the 1/500 Renwal kit)
- Revell/Lodella 1/530 USS Ticonderoga CVA-14 (not the Renwal 1/500 kit)
This multi-part kit represents the modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Shangri La CVA-38 as it appeared about 1965-1968 during combat operations off Vietnam. During those years, Carrier Air Wing 8 (CVW-8) was embarked, equipped with Vought F-8 Crusaders, Vought A-7 Corsair IIs, Douglas A-1 Skyraiders, Sikorski SH-3 Sea Kings and Grumman E-1 Tracers, among others.
This model is intended as a more accurate, direct replacement for the kit parts found in any classic Revell Essex class carrier model. With minor modifications, it can be adapted for other Vietnam-era angle-deck Essex class carriers. It is not suitable for USS Yorktown CVS-10 or USS Randolph CVS-15 because those ships' islands had different bridge window configurations. Check your references to confirm the details of those ships.
This 1/530 scale model is too small for the Renwal 1/500 scale kits and will not fit them properly. A Shangri La island precisely scaled specifically for the Renwal 1/500 USS Shangri La CV-38 model kit is available separately.
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- decks properly offset to port - Revell's kits' decks are positioned too far to starboard and should NOT be centered on the island
- properly positioned deck features
- wiper motor details, proper number and placement, on the navigating bridge
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail specifically for Shangri La
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- properly slanted and positioned antenna base outriggers
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.