Recommended to help build a late 1950s USS Yorktown CV-10 model from:
- Revell 1/530 USS Essex CVA-9 and CVS-9 Angle-deck carrier
- Revell 1/530 USS Hornet (CVS-12) "Hornet +3" Apollo 11 Moon Mission Recovery Vessel
- Revell 1/530 USS Lexington (CVT-16) Sea Power Issue
- Revell 1/530 USS Wasp CVA-18 and CVS-18 Gemini Recovery Vessel
- Revell 1/530 USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31 Picture Fleet Issue
- Revell 1/530 USS Oriskany CVA-34
- Revell 1/530 USS Shangri-La CVA-38 (not the 1/500 Renwal kit)
- Revell/Lodella 1/530 USS Ticonderoga CVA-14 (not the Renwal 1/500 kit)
This model represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Yorktown CVS-10 as it appeared circa 1956-1960 immediately after her conversion to an angled flight deck carrier. It is intended as a more accurate, direct replacement for the kit parts found in any classic Revell Essex class carrier model. USS Yorktown is preserved as a museum ship at Patriots Point, South Carolina, near Charleston. During 1956, she was embarked with Air Task Group 4. During 1957, Carrier Air Group 19 (CVW-19) was embarked aboard ship. From 1958-1960, she carried various anti-submarine warfare squadrons.
This time period presents the modeler with some interesting aircraft possibilities such as FH-1 Phantoms, F2H Banshees, F9F Panthers, A-1 Skyraiders, E1B Tracers, S2F Trackers and SH-3 Seakings, all available from Starfighter Decals.
This 1/530 scale design is too small for the 1/500 scale Renwal model kit and will not fit it properly. A island precisely scaled for the Renwal kit is available separately.
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- decks properly offset to port - Revell's kits' decks are positioned too far to starboard and should NOT be centered on the island
- properly positioned deck features
- accurately shaped decks, catwalks and splinter shields for Yorktown
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail correct for Yorktown
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors for Yorktown, most in the open position
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.