Set includes 2 mounts (turrets). No barrels.
Recommended to build a US Navy Sims class destroyer, or Benson or Gleaves class destroyer, DD-421 through DD-444 from:
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Buchanan DD-484 & USS Lansdowne DD-486 1945
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Livermore & USS Monssen 1942
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Laffey DD-459 1942
- Jim Shirley Productions 1/700 scale USS Sims DD 409
- Naval Works 1/700 scale USS Sims DD-409
- Nico Model 1/700 scale USS Hughes DD-410 1942
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Benson DD-421
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Caldwell DD-605
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Livermore DD-429
- Pit-Raod 1/700 scale USS Monssen DD-436
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale Asakaze I DD-181 with Photo Etched Parts
- Tamiya 1/700 scale USS Hammann DD-412 Waterline
These two models represent one type of the US Navy's 5 inch, 38 caliber Mk.30 single-gun mount (turret) with steel shield and canvas top as fit in a superfiring position aft to some Sims class, Benson class and Gleaves class destroyers circa 1941. The Benson class destroyer USS Madison DD-425, for example, carried this mount. These 3D-printed mounts offer the modeler the ability to accurately build many other ships of the Benson and Gleaves classes.
Noted naval historian Rick E. Davis reports that this mount set is correct for some Sims class and Benson-Geaves class ships USS Benson, USS Livermore, USS Gwin, USS Mayo, USS Madison, among other early ships, basically any of the original BENSON-GLEAVES class destroyers DD-421 through DD-444.
- overall dimensions scaled from official US Navy drawings
- details confirmed from careful study of National Archives photographs provided by noted naval historian Rick E. Davis
- accurately shaped asymmetrical gunhouse (turret)
- accurately offset gun opening
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure
- bolthead detail
These 3D-printed mounts are designed to match the overall dimensions of features of the real mounts as recorded in official Navy drawings. They are not copies of any injection molded plastic or resin kits' parts and therefore may be differently shaped and sized. Some adjustment to your kit, or other aftermarket products such as photoetch, may be necessary for best fit.
Click here for cleaning and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.