Set includes 5 mounts (turrets). No barrels.
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS The Sullivans DD-537
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Callaghan DD-792
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale JMSDF Ariake DD-183
- Samek 1/700 scale USS The Sullivans DD-537
- Tamiya 1/700 scale USS Cushing DD-797
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS The Sullivans DD-537
- and more!
These five models represent the US Navy's 5 inch, 38 caliber single-gun mounts fit to Fletcher class destroyers. Two "double-knuckle" mounts and three "single-knuckle" mounts are present.
"Double-knuckle" mounts were placed in locations where additional turret roof reinforcement was required as protection from the blast of guns firing overhead. Fletcher class destroyers, when built, carried 2 of these mounts, both located on the main deck, one extreme forward and one extreme aft, known as Mounts 51 and 55.
"Single-knuckle" mounts were positioned in superfiring positions were no roof reinforcement was needed. Fletcher class destroyers, when built, carried 3 of these mounts, all located on top of deckhouses, one forward and two aft, known as Mounts 52, 53 and 54.
- scaled from official US Navy Ordnance Pamphlet 1112 drawings dated January, 1945
- accurate, asymmetrically-shaped gunhouse (turret)
- 5"/38 cal. gun trunnion barrel slot set at the loading angle of +5 degrees (barrels not included)
- accurately offset gun opening
- accurate glacis (forward face) stiffener detail
- access hatches and viewports with hinge, clasp ("dog") and bolt detail
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure with accurately placed bolt-head detail
- rear vent and shell ejection chute
These 3D-printed mounts are designed to match the overall dimensions of features of the real mounts as recorded in official Navy drawings. They are not copies of any injection molded plastic or resin kits' parts and therefore may be differently shaped and sized. Some adjustment to your kit, or other aftermarket products such as photoetch, may be necessary for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.