Recommended to help build a more accurate USS Wasp CV-18 from any "short-hull" Essex class kit:
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Hornet CV-12
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Lexington CV-16
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Bob Homme Richard CV-31
- Hasegawa 1/700 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Hasegawa 1/700 scale USS Yorktown CV-10
- Iron Shipwrights 1/700 scale USS Essex CV-9 (1952)
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Yorktown CV-10
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Essex CV-9
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Yorktown CV-10
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Franklin CV-13
- and more!
This model represents the as-built island of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Wasp CV-18, the "short bridge" configuration, as it appeared circa November, 1943 through December, 1944. It was with this configuration that Wasp participated in several Pacific battles including the invasion of Saipan and the Battle of the Philippine Sea, also remembered as the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot". Essex class islands during this time carried three Bofors tubs, two forward and one aft.
This design captures features specific to USS Wasp, differing from other 3D-printed Essex class aircraft carrier island designs available separately.
- fully assembled
- scaled dimensions match official US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings for USS Antietam CV-36, as well as scaled drawings by John Roberts appearing in "Anatomy of the Ship: The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid", with details adjusted to match 1943-1944 photos of USS Wasp CV-18
- accurately shaped, detailed and positioned doors of three different types with chevron-shaped rain deflector detail (most doors are positioned open)
- accurately sized and positioned open portholes with rigol ("eyebrow") details
- accurately shaped decks and catwalks
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ships
- open battle lookouts
- subtly curved funnel caps
- open uptakes completely through the island, with correct bend in rear uptake
- open flag lockers
- accurate exterior cabling detail
- Bofors tubs spent shell casing chutes
- formation lights on searchlight platform splinter shield
- funnel access scuttle
- exterior steam pipes for ship's whistles
- starboard-side incinerator pipe
- venturi (wind deflector) on air defense deck splinter shield
- subtle, raised locator discs on decks and platforms to aid on the placement of 40mm Bofors mounts, 20mm Oerlikon guns and searchlights (Bofors, Oerlikons and searchlights are not included)
- integrated tripod mast with ship's bell
This model is scaled to represent the features of the actual ship based on the best, authoritative references available. It is NOT a 3D-printed copy of any metal, plastic or resin kit's parts therefore it may be sized and shaped differently than the parts in your plastic or resin kit. Some adjustment to your kit's parts or other aftermarket sets such as photo etch or wood decks may be needed for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.