Recommended island to build USS Enterprise CV-6 from the following 1/700 scale Yorktown class aircraft carrier kits:
- HP-Models 1/700 scale USS Yorktown CV-5
- HP-Models 1/700 scale USS Enterprise CV-6
- HP-Models 1/700 scale USS Hornet CV-8
- Mini Hobby Models 1/700 scale USS Hornet CV-8
- Pit-Road / SkyWave 1/700 scale USS Hornet CV-8
- Toms Modelworks 1/700 scale USS Yorktown CV-5
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Hornet CV-8
Scale: This island is precisely scaled to 1/700 specifically for the above kits. It is not suitable for Tamiya's 1/700 Yorktown class ships as those kits are actually 1/719 scale (2.7% smaller). Enterprise CV-6 island specifically for Tamiya is available separately.
This accurately shaped and highly detailed model represents the June, 1942 Battle of Midway appearance of the island of the US Navy's most decorated warship of World War Two, the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise CV-6, the "Big E". Enterprise received 20 "Battle Stars" for her service, more than any other US Navy warship during World War Two.
- overall dimensions accurately scaled from official US Navy plans drawn by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, dated 1940
- details confirmed by careful study of period photographs of the real ship
- open Pilot House windows
- open Fighting Top windows
- open Primary and Secondary Flight Control windows
- open Battle Lookouts, aka "Vision Slits"
- open doors, ready for your favorite photo-etch (not included)
- accurately shaped decks
- accurately shaped splinter shielding and Pilot House sky lookout position shape unique to Enterprise
- properly shaped funnel cap with exterior piping detail
- properly sized and located 16" and 12" diameter portholes with rigol ("eyebrow") detail
- properly scale smokepipes passing through the entire island - forward smokepipe at the correct slope
- heavy structural deck support details (light supports omitted, ready for your favorite photo-etch)
- aft cutout for crane
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
Model Monkey Yorktown CV-5 class Products. Each island design is specific to the actual ship circa 1942, these islands are not the same design.
- 1/700 USS Yorktown CV-5 Island (for Trumpeter)
- 1/700 USS Enterprise CV-6 Island (for Trumpeter)
- 1/700 USS Hornet CV-8 Island (for Trumpeter)
- 1/700 USS Yorktown CV-5 Island (for Tamiya) - actual scale 1/719
- 1/700 USS Enterprise CV-6 Island (for Tamiya) - actual scale 1/719
- 1/700 USS Hornet CV-8 Island (for Tamiya) - actual scale 1/719
From Wikipedia: "USS Enterprise (CV-6), was the seventh U.S. Navy vessel to bear the name. Colloquially referred to as the "Big E", she was the sixth aircraft carrier of the United States Navy. A Yorktown-class carrier, she was launched in 1936 and was one of only three American carriers commissioned prior to World War II to survive the war (the others being Saratoga and Ranger). She participated in more major actions of the war against Japan than any other US ship. These actions included the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, various other air-sea engagements during the Guadalcanal Campaign, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf. On three separate occasions during the Pacific War, the Japanese announced that she had been sunk in battle, earning her the name "The Grey Ghost". Enterprise earned 20 battle stars, the most for any U.S. warship in World War II and became the most decorated US ship of World War II."