Recommended to help build the Korean War-era SCB-27, straight-deck, Essex class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CV-12 from any "long-hull" Essex class kit:
Dragon 1/700 scale USS Hancock CV-19
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Antietam CV-36
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Boxer LPH-4
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Princeton CVS-37
- Hasegawa 1/700 scale USS Ticonderoga CV-14
- Hasegawa 1/700 scale USS Hancock CV-19
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Ticonderoga CV-14
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Hancock CV-19
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Ticonderoga CV-14
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Hancock CV-19
- and more!
This model represents the SCB-27 modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CV-12 as it appeared circa 1953-1954. She had this new island but retained her straight flight deck during this time. With minor modifications, it can be adapted to represent other Korean War-era straight-deckEssex class carriers.
- fully assembled
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- details consistent with photos of the actual ship
- decks properly offset to port, they should NOT be centered on the island
- properly shaped decks and deck features
- accurately shaped SPN-8 radar platform and dome aft of the island
- battle lookout details
- deckhouses, flag lockers and splinter shielding shape specific to Hornet
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail and routing specific for Hornet
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- closed A/T doors of the proper type
- door overhead chevron-shaped rain deflectors
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
This 3D-printed acrylic part is designed to accurately represent features of the actual ship. This model is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic kit's parts. Be advised that modernized SCB-27 islands were shorter at the aft end than they were during World War II. Some adjustment to your plastic kit's flight deck parts or other aftermarket parts such as photoetch or wood decks may be necessary for best fit. To fit this acrylic island to your plastic kit's flight deck, please remove the raised locator strips on the plastic kit's flight deck part. A simple cuticle cutter can cleanly and easily remove these raised locator features.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.