Recommended to help build a Cold War-era Baltimore class heavy cruiser from:
- Niko Models 1/700 scale USS Canberra CAG-2
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1943)
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1944)
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Pittsburgh CA-72 (1944)
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1943)
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1944)
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Pittsburgh CA-72 (1944)
These 3D-printed parts are intended to help you convert your World War Two-era Baltimore class heavy cruiser model kit to USS Los Angeles CA-135 as she appeared during the Vietnam War.
This is not a complete conversion kit. These parts are designed to represent only the upper, forward superstructure of the ship. These parts include the enclosed navigation bridge, enclosed flag bridge, their associated decks, the open air defense platform, and the enlarged foremast. Some scratch-building will be necessary to complete the conversion. Please use your favorite photo-etch for any radar antenna and TACON beacon supporting structure. Photo-etch is not included.
Depending on which 1/700 Baltimore class model ship kit you have, minor to significant adjustment of the plastic kit parts may be necessary for best fit.
Overall dimensions of this design are based on official US Navy drawings of sistership USS Los Angeles CA-135. Copies of USS Los Angeles plans can be obtained from The Floating Drydock. Link:
Assembly instructions are not provided with this product when shipped to you. Please study the images shown in the carousel on this webpage to learn where each part goes, as well as online references such as photographs of sistership USS Saint Paul CA-73 found on NavSource. Link:
This model includes a set of directors needed to complete the conversion to the ship's appearance circa 1968. There are enough directors for both the forward and the aft superstructure (the aft superstructure is not included). Please study the photos in the carousel on this webpage to learn where each director and antenna should be located. The set includes:
- two Mk.34 Directors
- two Mk.13 airfoil-shaped radar antennas
- two Mk.37 Directors
- four Mk.56 Directors
- one AN/URN-3 TACAN Beacon
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
Model Monkey 1/700 scale Baltimore class products:
- USS Saint Paul CA-73 Enclosed Bridges (1968)
- USS Los Angeles CA-135 Enclosed Bridges (1968)
- 8"/55 cal. Triple-gun Turrets, Vietnam War-era appearance (click here)
- 8"/55 cal. Triple-gun Turrets, World War Two-era appearance
- 5"/38 cal. Mk.32 Twin Mounts
- Gun Tubs for 3"/50 cal. dual-gun mounts (set of 4)
- Mk.34 Directors and Mk.13 Radar Antennas (not needed if buying this product)
- Mk.37 Directors, early World War Two-era
- Mk.56 Directors (not needed if buying this product)