Recommended to help build USS Oriskany CVA-34 from:
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Antietam CV-36
- Jim Shirley Productions 1/700 scale USS Oriskany CVA-34
- Ships & Co. 1/700 scale USS Intrepid CVS-11
- Ships & Co. 1/700 scale USS Ticonderoga CVA-14
This multi-part kit represents the modernized island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Oriskany CVA-34 as it appeared circa 1968-1973. During this period, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 19, tail code NM, was embarked aboard the ship which included Vought F-8 Crusaders, Vought A-7 Corsair IIs and Grumman E-1 Tracers among other types (see photos in carousel).
With minor modifications, this island can be adapted to represent other Vietnam-era angle-deck Essex class carriers. It is not accurate for USS Yorktown CVS-10, USS Randolph CVS-15 or USS Wasp CVS-18 because those ships had a different bridge window configuration. Please check your references to confirm details of other ships.
- a fully assembled island and separate radar dome
- solid bridge and PriFly windows with subtle, raised framing
- details consistent with photos of the actual ship
- decks properly offset to port
- properly shaped decks and deck features
- accurately shaped SPS-40 radar platform for Oriskany
- battle lookout details
- flag lockers and splinter shielding shape specific to Oriskany
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- starboard side boxy radar station
- delicate exterior piping detail and routing specific for Oriskany
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors, most open
- door overhead, chevron-haped rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- correctly shaped and positioned television camera position
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
These 3D-printed acrylic parts are designed to accurately represent features of the actual ship. They are not 3D-printed copies of any resin or plastic kit parts and therefore may be differently shaped and sized. Some adjustment to your plastic kit's flight deck parts or other aftermarket parts such as photoetch or wood decks may be necessary for best fit.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.