Recommended to help build a Cold War-era Baltimore class heavy cruiser from:
- Niko Models 1/700 scale USS Canberra CAG-2
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1943)
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1944)
- Pit-Road 1/700 scale USS Pittsburgh CA-72 (1944)
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1943)
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Baltimore CA-68 (1944)
- Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Pittsburgh CA-72 (1944)
- and more!
These 3D-printed parts are intended to help you convert your World War Two-era Baltimore class heavy cruiser model kit to USS Saint Paul CA-73 as she appeared during the Vietnam War. USS Saint Paul was the most decorated ship of the Baltimore class.
This is NOT a complete conversion kit. These parts are designed to represent only the upper, forward superstructure of the ship and the fire control directors for both forward and aft superstructure. These parts include the enclosed navigation bridge, enclosed flag bridge, their associated decks, the open air defense platform, and the enlarged foremast. Some scratch-building will be necessary to complete the conversion. Please use your favorite photo-etch for any radar antenna and TACON beacon supporting structure. Photo-etch is not included.
A set of four 3"/50 cal. tubs is available separately.
Depending on which Baltimore class model ship kit you have, some adjustment of your plastic or resin kit's parts may be necessary for best fit.
Overall dimensions of this design are based on official US Navy drawings of sistership USS Los Angeles CA-135 adjusted to match high-resolution photographs of USS St. Paul (USS Los Angeles had slightly different features). Copies of sistership USS Los Angeles plans can be obtained from The Floating Drydock (click here).
Assembly instructions are not provided with this product when shipped to you. Please study the images shown in the carousel on this webpage to learn where each part goes, as well as online references such as photographs of USS Saint Paul CA-73 found on NavSource (click here).
This model includes a set of directors needed to complete the conversion to the ship's 1968 appearance. There are enough directors provided in this set for both the forward and the aft superstructure (the aft superstructure is not included). Please study the photos in the carousel on this webpage to learn where each director and antenna should be located. The set includes:
- two Mk.34 Directors
- two Mk.13 airfoil-shaped radar antennas
- two Mk.37 Directors
- four Mk.56 Directors
- one AN/URN-3 TACAN Beacon
© Model Monkey LLC. This 3D-printed product may not be copied or recast.
Model Monkey 1/700 scale Baltimore class products:
- USS Saint Paul CA-73 Enclosed Bridges (1968)
- USS Los Angeles CA-135 Enclosed Bridges (1968)
- 8"/55 cal. Triple-gun Turrets, Vietnam War-era appearance (click here)
- 8"/55 cal. Triple-gun Turrets, World War Two-era appearance
- 5"/38 cal. Mk.32 Twin Mounts
- Gun Tubs for 3"/50 cal. dual-gun mounts (set of 4)
- Mk.34 Directors and Mk.13 Radar Antennas (not needed if buying this product)
- Mk.37 Directors, early World War Two-era
- Mk.56 Directors (not needed if buying this product)