Includes 1 mount (turret) with barrels.
- Aquacraft 1/72 scale Fletcher class destroyer
- Southern Cross Models 1/72 scale Fletcher class destroyer hull
- The Scale Shipyard 1/72 scale USS Fletcher DD-445 hull
- The Scale Shipyard 1/72 scale USS Kidd DD-661 hull
- The Scale Shipyard 1/72 scale USS Cassin Young DD-793 hull
- and more!
Among naval historians, the US Navy 5"/38 caliber cannon is considered the best intermediate-caliber, dual purpose naval gun of World War II. This model represents the 5"/38 cal. Mk.30 Mod.41 single-gun mount fit to several classes of warships and Coast Guard cutters.
This "Heavyweight" version had a reinforced roof with two "bumps", called "knuckles", that resisted blast from another 5-inch turret firing overhead. This type was known as a "Double Knuckle" mount during World War II. Compared to the "early version", the late version, reproduced here, appeared sometime after 1942, had a different arrangement of stiffeners on the front of the gunhouse and additional fasteners on access hatches. Two of these mounts are often seen on "square bridge" Fletchers such as USS Kidd DD-661, now preserved as a museum ship.
Of the five 5-inch/38 Mk.30 single mounts normally fitted to a Fletcher class destroyer, two "Double Knuckle" heavyweight mounts were carried, one in the foremost position and one in the aft most position on the main deck, known there as "Mount 51" and "Mount 55". The other three mounts were "Single Knuckle" lightweight Mod.60 mounts, available separately.
- overall dimensions and details scaled from official US Navy O.P. 1112 drawings dated March, 1945 and measurements taken from a surviving Mod.41 mount aboard the museum ship USS Kidd DD-661
- mount can be made rotatable and the gun can be positioned at any realistic elevation
- an accurately shaped asymmetrical gunhouse (turret)
- accurate, offset gun opening
- forward face stiffeners
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure with accurately placed bolt-head detail
- rear vent
- detailed gun captain blast hood, fit to the right side of the roof as they were during World War Two
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
Model Monkey 5"/38 cal. Single Mounts for Fletcher class destroyers:
- 5"/38 cal. "Double Knuckle" early heavyweight (set of 2) - for "round bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Single Knuckle" early lightweight (set of 3) - for "round bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Double Knuckle" late heavyweight (set of 2) - for "square-bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Single Knuckle" late lightweight (set of 3) - for "square bridge" Fletcher class
- Ring Stands for 5"/38 cal. Single Mounts (set of 5)