Set includes the two aft torpedo tubes, turntables and slides.
Notice: due to the geometry of this product, this set of torpedo tubes requires an extraordinary amount of time to print properly. Please expect a delay in fulfilling your order.
- set of two forward torpedo tubes
- set of four torpedo tube breech doors (if you buy the tubes, breech doors are not needed)
- PT-109 nameplate (from Shapeways)
- Hasegawa 1/72 scale PT Boat Black Lagoon
- Revell 1/72 scale PT-109
- Revell 1/72 scale Torpedo Boat PT-117
- Revell 1/72 scale Torpedo Boat PT-167
This set of two torpedo tubes represents the aft pair of torpedo tubes mounted to many World War Two US Navy PT Boats such as the famous PT-109 commanded by then-Lieutenant John F. Kennedy. The forward tubes have differently shaped forward carriage slides and are available separately. The Mk.18 Torpedo Tube was used early in the war until replaced by roll-off racks for aircraft-type Mk.13 torpedoes.
A good reference for PT boats can be found on NavSource (click here).
This model kit is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic model kit's parts. It is designed from actual builder’s blueprints. Therefore, it may not be the same size or shape of your plastic kit's parts. Depending on which plastic kit you own, some adjustment of the plastic kit's parts may be needed for best fit. The bottom of the turntable and forward slide are designed flat to best fit the classic Revell kit (old tool). If you have a different kit with a cambered (arched) deck, slight sanding of the inboard bottom of the turntable and slide may help obtain a better fit.
- accurately scaled from scans of original Electric Boat Company manufacturer's blueprints dated 3 December 1942.
- details confirmed from careful study of period photographs
- accurately depicts the different features of the port tube and the starboard tube
- separate aft turntable and forward carriage slide permitting the modeler to display the tubes in their stowed position or rotated outward 12.5 degrees for firing. Tubes can also be displayed dismounted
- detailed concave breech door with stiffener details
- accurate, detailed, tube-top firing combustion chamber
- accurate breech door hinge
- exterior stiffener rings properly sized and located
- accurately shaped and located training gear
- bolt heads accurately scaled in their proper position, randomly turned for realism
- rivet detail
- subtle weld line detail
- tube hollow through to the breech door
- training gear handle, combustion chamber handles, clasps and exterior tubular brace omitted (too thin to print)
- separate the turntables from each other by removing their attachment sprue
- position the flat side of the turntable bases outboard at the edge of the deck (the rounded side goes inboard).
- separate the forward slides from each other by removing their attachment sprue
- the forward slides have a small training gear (a rounded boxy structure) located on one corner. Position the slides so that the training gear is on the inboard, forward corner of the slide.
- position the outboard edge of the slides against the deck edge.
- the tubes are different. Position the tubes so that the breech door hinges are inboard.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.