Recommended to help build USS Independence CVA-62 from:
- Italeri 1/720 scale USS Forrestal CV-59
- Italeri 1/720 scale USS Saratoga CV-60
- Italeri 1/720 scale USS Ranger CV-61
- Italeri 1/720 scale USS Independence CV-62
- Revell 1/720 scale USS Saratoga CV-60
- Testors 1/720 scale USS Forrestal CV-59
- Testors 1/720 scale USS Saratoga CV-60
This model represents the island of Forrestal class aircraft carrier USS Independence CVA-62 as it appeared circa 1965-1971 during the Vietnam War. The Forrestal class was the world's first "super carriers".
For valuable reference photos of USS Independence CV/CVA-62, the fourth ship of the Forrestal class, see: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/62.htm
During this period, Carrier Air Wing 7 (CVW-7), tail code "AG", was embarked, equipped with A-6A Intruders, A-4 Skyhawks, F-4 Phantoms, F-8 Crusaders, A-1 Skyraiders, E-1 Tracers, SH-3 Sea Kings, among others.
This model is designed from official US Navy drawings to match features and dimensions of the actual ship. Therefore, it may be sized and shaped differently than your plastic kit's parts. Some adjustment of your kit's parts or other aftermarket products such as photo-etch may be needed for best fit.
- overall dimensions scaled from official US Navy drawings, details adjusted to match photos
- open navigating bridge, flag bridge and primary flight control station "prifly" windows with correct wiper motor detail for 1965-1971
- open portholes for the signal shelter on the 09 level
- open battle lookout ports, fore and aft, properly sized and positioned
- highly detailed doors of 2 types fixed to the bulkheads in the open position, and one closed door
- detailed and textured starboard side intake vents
- accurately shaped decks, platforms, catwalks and splinter shields properly located
- detailed starboard-side electronic countermeaures room and radar room with open doors sandwiched between bi-level platforms extending outward from funnel
- accurately shaped and sized SPN-35 radar dome
- lower portion of the swing-down mast fixed to the superstructure (does not move) with hinge detail at the base, with small locator dimple to aid in attaching your kit's mast
- open funnel uptakes
- diesel generator exhausts between funnel uptakes
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or re-cast.