This multi-part kit represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Intrepid CVA-11/CVS-11 as it appeared circa 1968-1973.
This model is composed of fine and thin features and thus is very fragile. Caution is advised when removing the supporting sprues and during handling.
According to Seaforces.org, Intrepid embarked two different air groups during this period. From 1968-1969, Intrepid served as an attack carrier (CVA-11) off Vietnam. Carrier Air Wing 10 (CVW-10), tail code "AK", was aboard with Douglas A-4 Skyhawks and Douglas A-1J Skyraiders, among others. From 1969 through 1973, Intrepid served as an anti-submarine carrier (CVS-11) in the Caribbean Sea, Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. Carrier Anti-submarine Air Group 56 (CVSG-56) was aboard composed of AD-5 Skyraiders (multi-seat), Grumman S-2 Trackers and Grumman E-1 Tracers among other types.
- solid bridge and PriFly windows with subtle, raised framing
- decks properly offset to port
- properly positioned deck features
- integrated Mk.37 directors of the proper Cold War-era "boxy" type
- integrated Phasor 90 (AN/SRA-33) dual-cone antennas
- wiper motor details on the navigating bridge
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail correct for Intrepid
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors for Intrepid, many of them open
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- properly slanted and positioned antenna base outriggers
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.