This model is only available from Shapeways. See Shapeways' webpage for current pricing. Link:
This multi-part kit represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CVS-11 as it appeared circa 1967-1969. During these years, Carrier Anti-Submarine Air Group 57 (CVSG-57) was embarked aboard ship. The island was in this configuration when Hornet recovered the astronauts of Apollo 11 after their historic mission to the Moon. A few months later, the ship recovered the astronauts of Apollo 12. USS Hornet is preserved as a museum ship at Alameda, California.
- overall dimension scaled from official US Navy plans with details adjusted to match features of the actual ship
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- properly positioned deck features
- accurately shaped decks, catwalks and splinter shields for Hornet
- accurately shaped SPS-30 radar platform, unique to Hornet
- integrated venturis (wind deflectors) accurate for Hornet
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail correct for Hornet
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors for Hornet, most in the open position
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- open funnel cap (grille not included)
- Phasor 90 dual-cone antennas, port and aft antennas integrated with the island, 2 separate antennas for mounting on kit's radar platform supports (1 facing forward on the port side and 1 facing starboard on the starboard side - see photos in carousel) and 2 spare
- highly detailed, Cold War-style Mk.37 director
This highly detailed and accurately shaped model is an original design developed from official US Navy drawings.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.