This model is only available from Shapeways. It cannot be printed in gray resin. Click here to buy this model from Shapeways. For answers to printing and shipping questions about this model, please contact Shapeways' customer service.
This multi-part kit represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CVS-11 as it appeared circa 1967-1969. During these years, Carrier Anti-Submarine Air Group 57 (CVSG-57) was embarked aboard ship. The island was in this configuration when Hornet recovered the astronauts of Apollo 11 after their historic mission to the Moon. A few months later, the ship recovered the astronauts of Apollo 12. USS Hornet is preserved as a museum ship at Alameda, California.
- overall dimension scaled from official US Navy plans with details adjusted to match features of the actual ship
- open bridge and PriFly windows with delicate framing
- properly positioned deck features
- accurately shaped decks, catwalks and splinter shields for Hornet
- accurately shaped SPS-30 radar platform, unique to Hornet
- integrated venturis (wind deflectors) accurate for Hornet
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail correct for Hornet
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors for Hornet, most in the open position
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- open funnel cap (grille not included)
- Phasor 90 dual-cone antennas, port and aft antennas integrated with the island, 2 separate antennas for mounting on kit's radar platform supports (1 facing forward on the port side and 1 facing starboard on the starboard side - see photos in carousel) and 2 spare
- highly detailed, Cold War-style Mk.37 director
This highly detailed and accurately shaped model is an original design developed from official US Navy drawings.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.