This model is only available from Shapeways. It cannot be printed in gray resin. Click here to buy this model from Shapeways. For answers to printing and shipping questions about this model, please contact Shapeways' customer service.
This accurately shaped and highly detailed model represents the 1942 appearance of the island of celebrated US Navy aircraft carrier USS Yorktown CV-5, veteran of the Battles of Coral Sea and Midway, where she was lost. Her wreck was discovered by Robert D. Ballard and his team from National Geographic in 1998.
- fully assembled
- overall dimensions accurately scaled from official US Navy plans drawn by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, dated 1940
- details specific to USS Yorktown confirmed by careful study of builders plans, period photographs of the real ship and photos of the wreck
- open Pilot House windows
- open Fighting Top windows
- open Primary Flight Control "PriFly" windows
- open Battle Lookouts, aka "Vision Slits"
- open doors, ready for your favorite photo-etch (not included)
- accurately shaped decks
- accurately shaped splinter shielding and Pilot House sky lookout position shape unique toYorktown
- properly shaped funnel cap with exterior piping detail
- properly sized and located 16" and 12" diameter portholes
- properly scale smokepipes passing through the entire island - forward smokepipe at the correct slope
- delicate exterior electrical cabling
- weather shelter
- heavy structural deck support details (light supports omitted, ready for your favorite photo-etch
- aft cutout for crane
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.