Scale: 1/164. Lindberg's box art erroneously states the scale of the kit as 1/170. Sources indicate the true scale is 1/164. This model is precisely scaled to fit the Lindberg kit.
Set includes 1 mount (turret), barrel and ring stand.
Recommended to build a Landing Ship Medium (Rocket) (LSM(R)) from the Lindberg 1/164 scale USS Carronade "Bobtail Cruiser" Missile Assault Ship
Among naval historians, the US Navy 5"/38 caliber gun is considered the best intermediate-caliber, dual purpose naval gun of World War II. This type was installed on several classes of wartime and Cold War-era destroyers, destroyer escorts, landing ships medium (rocket) (LSM(R)s), auxiliaries and Coast Guard cutters as well as the battleship USS Idaho BB-42 and the nuclear-powered cruiser USS Long Beach CGN-9.
Photos indicate that the 5"/38 mount carried by LSM(R)s had a facet at the top of the rear turret wall, similar, if not identical to those carried by Rudderow and John C. Butler class destroyer escorts. This design represents the faceted-type 5"/38 mount, correct for LSM(R)s.
- can be made rotatable and the gun can be positioned at any elevation
- an accurately shaped asymmetrical gunhouse (turret) with aft, rooftop facet
- accurate, offset gun opening
- accurate, offset gun barrel (when facing the turret, the barrel is on the RIGHT)
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure with accurately placed bolt-head detail
- rear vent
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.