Scale: 1/200 (1/16 inch = 1 foot)
Set includes 3 mounts (turrets) with barrels.
- Digital Navy 1/200 scale USS Black DD-666
- Digital Navy 1/200 scale USS Caperton DD-650
- Halinski 1/200 scale USS Heerman DD-532
- Modelik 1/200 scale USS Leutze DD-481
- Progresswerk Nürnberg 1/200 scale Z1 Zerstörer (Fletcher klasse / klasse 119)
Among naval historians, the US Navy 5"/38 caliber cannon is considered the best intermediate-caliber, dual purpose naval gun of World War II. These three models represent the 5"/38 cal. Mk.30 Mod.60 single-gun mount fit to several classes of warships and Coast Guard cutters.
This "Lightweight" version was known as a "Single Knuckle" mount during World War II, so named because of the single "bump" on the turret roof. Compared to the "early version", the late version, reproduced here, appeared sometime after 1942. The late version had a different arrangement of stiffeners on the front of the gunhouse and additional fasteners on access hatches. Three of these mounts are often seen on "square bridge" Fletchers such as USS Kidd DD-661, now preserved as a museum ship.
Of the five 5-inch/38 Mk.30 single mounts normally fitted to a Fletcher class destroyer, for example, three "Single Knuckle" lightweight mounts were carried, all fit on top of deckhouses in superfiring positions, known there as "Mount 52", "Mount 53" and "Mount 54". The other two mounts were "Double Knuckle" heavyweight Mod.41 mounts, available separately. The two "double knuckle" mounts were fit to the main deck.
- overall dimensions and details scaled from official US Navy O.P. 1112 drawings dated March, 1945 and measurements taken from a surviving Mod.60 mount aboard the museum ship USS Kidd DD-661
- mount can be made rotatable and the gun can be positioned at any realistic elevation
- an accurately shaped asymmetrical gunhouse (turret)
- accurate, offset gun opening
- forward face stiffeners
- detailed turret bottom supporting structure with accurately placed bolt-head detail
- rear vent
- detailed gun captain access hatch, fit to the right side of the roof as they were during World War Two
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
Model Monkey 5"/38 cal. Single Mounts for Fletcher class destroyers:
- 5"/38 cal. "Double Knuckle" early heavyweight (set of 2) - for "round bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Single Knuckle" early lightweight (set of 3) - for "round bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Double Knuckle" late heavyweight (set of 2) - for "square-bridge" Fletcher class
- 5"/38 cal. "Single Knuckle" late lightweight (set of 3) - for "square bridge" Fletcher class
- Ring Stands for 5"/38 cal. Single Mounts (set of 5)