Recommended to help correct the major inaccuracies of your Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Saratoga CV-3 kit's island, better representing the ship's 1936-1940 appearance.
This model represents the island of celebrated aircraft carrier USS Saratoga CV-3 as she appeared during extensive pre-war training exercises where she and her crew laid the foundation for modern carrier warfare. The ship at this time did not yet have the widened flight deck forward with this island configuration.
The major difference between this 1936 version and the earlier 1933 version (available separately) is that this version has a venturi (wind deflector) on the splinter shield forward of the pilot house.
- fully assembled
- accurately dimensioned from US Navy Booklet of General Plans drawings
- detail locations confirmed by careful study of photographs of the actual ship
- proper asymmetrical deck shapes for Saratoga (Lexington's were shaped differently)
- accurate splinter shield shapes (Lexington's were shaped differently)
- enlarged Flag Plotting Station (above Pilot House), unique to Saratoga
- accurate fighting tops, including the aft top on the funnel, both with open windows
- upper top Fire Control Station (the large uppermost platform on top the tripod) includes supporting structural framing with lightening holes, subtle locator disks for rangefinders (not included) and splinter shielding of a slightly different shape than Lexington's
- open A/T doors, ready for your favorite photoetch
- open portholes (airports) properly sized and located
- detailed interior barbette and associated bulkheads with open scuttles
- heavy structural supports included
- light structural supports, railings and ladders omitted, ready for your favorite photoetch
© Model Monkey LLC. This 3D-printed product may not be copied or recast.