Recommended to help build USS Intrepid CVS-11 from:
- Dragon 1/700 scale USS Antietam CV-36
- Jim Shirley Productions 1/700 scale USS Oriskany CVA-34
- Ships & Co. 1/700 scale USS Intrepid CVS-11
- Ships & Co. 1/700 scale USS Ticonderoga CVA-14
This multi-part kit represents the modernized SCB-125 island of Essex class aircraft carrier USS Intrepid CVA-11/CVS-11 as it appeared circa 1968-1973.
According to Seaforces.org, Intrepid embarked two different air groups during this period. From 1968-1969, Intrepid served as an attack carrier (CVA-11) off Vietnam. Carrier Air Wing 10 (CVW-10), tail code "AK", was aboard with Douglas A-4 Skyhawks and Douglas A-1J Skyraiders, among others. From 1969 through 1973, Intrepid served as an anti-submarine carrier (CVS-11) in the Caribbean Sea, Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. Carrier Anti-submarine Air Group 56 (CVSG-56) was aboard composed of AD-5 Skyraiders (multi-seat), Grumman S-2 Trackers and Grumman E-1 Tracers among other types (see photos in carousel).
With minor modifications, this island can be adapted to represent other Vietnam-era angle-deck Essex class carriers. It is not accurate for USS Yorktown CVS-10, USS Randolph CVS-15 or USS Wasp CVS-18 because those ships had a different bridge window configuration. Please check your references to confirm details of other ships.
- solid bridge and PriFly windows with subtle, raised framing
- decks properly offset to port
- properly positioned deck features
- integrated Mk.37 directors of the proper Cold War-era "boxy" type
- integrated Phasor 90 (AN/SRA-33) dual-cone antennas
- wiper motor details on the navigating bridge
- deck supporting structure details accurately positioned as confirmed by photos of the real ship
- delicate exterior piping detail correct for Intrepid
- porthole rigols ("eyebrows")
- correct style A/T doors for Intrepid, many of them open
- door overhead rain deflectors
- correct number and position of PriFly splinter shield ribs
- properly slanted and positioned antenna base outriggers
- open funnel cap (grille not included), ready for your favorite photoetch set
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.